I want to take minute to remind you that safety in our schools is paramount and we look to refine and improve on daily basis. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Burlington School District has established emergency procedures which are routinely reinforced and reviewed, and our safety teams did spend additional time looking through them today and identifying any soft spots.
- We have well established monitoring practices and safety dialog with Burlington Police Department and district representatives meet with them regularly.
- Teachers and staff are aware of reporting protocols in the event of any threatening behavior.
- Students who are identified as having maladaptive behavior and social emotional challenges are referred to the appropriate social agency and authority. We have had success monitoring and directing students for supports.
- Please contact your school directly if you have any suggestions or concerns regarding safety. If you see something, say something.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. Please feel free to contact my office if you have questions about anything above that cannot be answered by your school.
-Superintendent Yaw Obeng